Thursday, August 11, 2016

Summer 2016 movie run down

Holy cow! I haven't done diddly with this blog since 2011!?! That's crazy. Funny, because I did just watch The Reef again the other day. First time since I reviewed it down below.

So, in an attempt to get this site moving again I am going to just do a small run down of the theatrical releases I have seen this summer. Just a few short little reviews.

I will be using a five star system for all reviews. Keep that in mind for the future. Don't forget.

Captain America: Civil War ****
At the time I was convinced this was the best there was. But then I realized I was not itching to get back to the theater to see it again, unlike Winter Soldier. So, all things considered, I obviously loved the film at the time, but it didn't have the impact I felt it may have at first. W.S. is a ***** film for sure. So, great movie, however not quite the best.

X-Men: Apocalypse ***
This thing was torn to shreds by a lot of people, but I kind of liked it. No, Apocalypse does not look as good as he does in the books. That being said, I did like how Oscar Isaac played the part. He was fairly evil. The rest of the cast did a fine job. Yes, there were faults and the movie kind of hovers between parts 1 and 2, and First Class and Days. Certain parts I enjoyed more, but as a whole those other four films were more solid.

Independence Day: Resurgence **
Is anybody actually expecting good reviews for this movie? The movie was pretty bad. But, it does succeed in a "so bad it is good" way. This is one of those that 20 years from now it will have a small cult following. Incredibly stupid, super silly acting at times, FX that range from good to good but obviously CGI. The movie lacks the visual depth of the first one due to being so CGI heavy. Saving grace: the ending features a giant monster alien.

Star Trek Beyond ****
Might be my favorite Star Trek film. Oh, I know, it doesn't have the cast that I grew up with, but I think that is OK. I still prefer the original TV show to all of the movies, so I think I can say that of the movies this was the one I enjoyed the most. I do think I should watch Wrath of Khan again before making my final proclamation. But then again, I don't think anybody will ever take me to task for stating which one I prefer over the other. So sure, Beyond is the best.

Lights Out *** 1/2
I think the fine folk on Horror News Radio dubbed this one best. They referred to it as Jump Scare the Movie. The premise of the movie is a monster that appears only in the dark, which basically means that the whole movie will be using the jump scare quite a bit. It does a decent job of building a creepy factor by making the viewer not trust any dark spaces on film, but the actual scares are all jump. One has to admire the film's ability at being creative with the jumps. The film has also taken a cue from James Wan (who did produce) in that the makers realize that to make us care we have to like the characters. The characters in the movie are all likable, with the weak spot being the son, Martin. But as a whole the film is a pretty good movie that leads to a fun viewing experience.

The Conjuring 2 ****
The first film is, in my opinion, possibly the scariest film ever made. Yes, I place it above The Exorcist. I had seen very few of the commercials and sadly missed seeing it in the theater, so my first viewing was on my couch, in the dark, all around the hour of midnight. Scared the living snot out of me. That dang hand clap scene made me launch myself off the couch and scream. No hyperbole there.
This one is an incredibly creepy and unsettling film. It succeeds in making us love the characters and actually care about them. There aren't any scenes that sent me out of my seat, but I felt like I was about to for a good amount of the run time. Even the lighter scenes had a feeling of dread wandering through them.
A solid cast, some amazing FX work, a creepy feeling throughout makes this one a total winner. James Wan has proven himself to be an important figure in horror. I only hope he has realized that horror is his home and where he should always be returning to for more scares.

Jason Bourne *** 1/2
Matt Damon returns as the killing machine in human form, Jason Bourne. This time out he is in search of finding out just who exactly he is and what happened to him and his father. He is aided in his quest by people within the CIA who want to do right, or so we (and he, kind of) believe.

Yes, the plot is similar to every other one of these movies, yes some of what happens is a bit ridiculous (why the Dodge Charger he steals never deploys its airbag after he has rammed into everything under the sun in Las Vegas is beyond me). But the action is still intense enough and fun enough to keep the viewer appeased. No, it is not the best of the Bourne movies and they are running out of steam, but my wife and I both had fun with this one.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Because this is my blog, I am including a movie I did see in the theater this summer, even though it is not a new release.

Planet of the Apes *****
The original. The classic. The perfect film. In my world this film sits alongside films like Jaws, Dawn of the Dead, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Psycho, Creature from the Black Lagoon, War of the Worlds (Pal). There is no such thing as seeing this movie "too many times." The music, the acting, the set design. The make-up. Oh, that make-up. This and the Gill Man. Oh my. Two make-ups I could look at for hours and hours. This is why I adore every movie, and the TV show, from the original run. That make-up.
This was seen during the recent TCM theatrical run. Not too much to say about it. My blu-rays probably looked a little bit better than this showing, but it still looked great. But the film is the film and it was great seeing it on the big screen.
One thing that was a bit of added fun was the interview with Dr. Zaius before and after the movie. Obviously this was not Maurice Evans as Zaius, but rather comedian Dana Gould. Gould is an Apes fanatic and considered one of the top POTA experts alive today. His interview was both comedy (acting as the real Zaius and playing it as he was hired to play the part and is a real ape, as were all of the other ape characters) and bit of real factual information. It was a fun way to present some behind the scenes information.
Apes still rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment